Specimen orders - Our policies on marine life specimens
When you order live materials you accept a shared responsibility with Gulf of Maine not only for the fate of the animals, but for the effort and costs involved in the sale. We guarantee that we will collect, hold, and package your specimens to the best of our ability. Your order with us is a sign of your trust in our reputation and many years of experience. Occasionally, animals may not survive due to stresses from shipping that are beyond our control. If this occurs, Gulf of Maine, Inc. will replace your lost specimens at no charge to you. While this is a significant effort that involves additional collection and packaging, we believe it is fulfilling our part of our shared responsibility with you. All shipping charges are your responsibility. No refunds are provided for live materials..
PURCHASING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Minimum Order - There is a $40.00 minimum order for live materials. Please remember that overnight shipping is costly so it may be wise to order in quantity to optimize economy of scale. We do offer quantity discounts.
2. Substitutions - If we do not have or cannot collect the organisms you order, we may substitute other related organisms. When ordering, please specify if you do not want substitutions!
3. Specimen Size - To reduce shipping weights and charges, only small or average-sized specimens are collected for sale. Larger or jumbo samples of some organisms are available at extra cost. Please request when ordering.
a. Pricing for living material is based on the difficulty of collection. All our prices are based on numerous years of collecting experience and rarely exceed these quoted estimates. We can quote you an actual cost for most species; however, all living marine materials collected under special arrangement are charged for on a cost-of-collection basis and quoted prices are only approximate.
b. Containers, packing materials and shipping are not included in our prices.
c. $25 charge on all foreign shipments.
d. Maine sales tax of 5% will be added to all in-state orders. Please provide tax exempt # if applicable.
5. Shipping Containers - Live and preserved organisms require substantial packing materials and containers. Cost of packaging is $15.00 for live materials. We will do our best to minimize the packaging costs by combining orders when possible. Containers can be recycled and returned; however, there is no credit or rebate for doing so. Sea water containers will be reused for subsequent orders.
6. Receiving your organisms - Orders are shipped via Fed Ex or UPS for next day arrival unless otherwise requested. Customers are responsible for receiving and taking care of their live organisms. See Specimen Care to learn how to prepare for your shipment. All customers will be responsible for orders placed or received during periods of very hot or cold temperatures and severe weather.